Housing & Residential Life
- Should I apply for housing even though I have not decided to go to the U yet? And how much is the deposit?
- How do I apply for housing if I have not received a Student ID?
- I can not apply because my Internet ID and password is not working, what should I do?
- The Online Housing Application doesn’t work. What can I do?
- I paid the $25 application fee. Is my application complete? What are the next steps?
- I entered my housing application, but am not sure if it was received. How would I find that out?
- What is the best place to live?
- What are LLCs?
- How do I know if I am eligible for Honors Housing?
- Can I apply for an LLC even if I have not heard if I have been accepted into the program?
- When will I hear from Housing next after I submit my application? What is the timeline of communication?
- What does the March 1 deadline mean?
- What is the $200 Housing Guarantee Payment?
- When is the $200 Due?
- Can I pay the $200 online?
- Is it better to pay it right away? Will I be penalized if I don’t pay it right away?
- I filled out my preferences, but want to change them. How do I do that?
- If I make changes to my application will it affect my application complete date?
- What is the Roommate Search?
- Who is eligible for Roommate Search?
- How does Roommate Search work?
- How do I access Roommate Search?
Should I apply for housing even though I have not decided to go to the U yet? And how much is the deposit?
We encourage students to apply for housing as soon as possible. The earlier you apply the better. There is a $25 non-refundable application fee due at the time of application.
Once you apply for admission to the University you are given a student ID number. To get that number you can call Admissions at 612-625-2008.
If you are having problems with your Internet ID and/or password, contact the tech department at 612-301-HELP (4357).
Contact Housing & Residential Life at 612-624-2994. Be sure to have access to the internet when you call and we will assist you.
The two things you need to submit for your application to be complete is the application and the $25 application fee. A few days after completing the application you will receive a confirmation e-mail. If you did not fill out preferences (building, room type, and meal plan) go to www.housing.umn.edu/housing_preferences.
The answer really comes down to what the student prefers. Students should review the information we provide about each of the Residence Halls and Apartments before deciding how to rank them on the application.
- LLCs are specifically designed to deliver a variety of educational, social, and developmental programs and services to support students with their transition to the University.
- LLCs maximize students' retention and their academic success and provide positive experiences at the University.
- LLCs offer eligible students the option to live in a "house" with residents who share similar educational interests.
- If you applied for the Honors Program and are accepted, you will receive a letter from the Honors Program.
- If you are accepted into the Honors Program, you are eligible for Honors Housing.
- You must preference the Honors LLC on your Housing application in order to be assigned to the Honors LLC.
Yes, you can apply for an LLC even if you have not been accepted into the program yet. However, you will only be assigned to the LLC if you are accepted into the LLC by May 15.
When will I hear from Housing next after I submit my application? What is the timeline of communication?
Typically, you will receive an e-mail response within 3 business days.
March 1 is the priority deadline for students interested in living in an LLC to apply for housing. Some LLCs fill up before March 1 and some will continue to have space well after March 1.
Before you receive a housing assignment, you will first receive a Housing Guarantee offer by email. After you receive the Housing Guarantee offer, you can make the $200 payment. The $200 Housing Guarantee Payment is a credit which will go on your student account. It lets us know you are serious about living with us on campus.
The payment is due by May 15 for new incoming students.
Yes, you can pay online with a credit/debit card.
As long as the payment is made by May 15, there is no benefit or penalty. If the payment is made after May 15, you will not be assigned in the first group of students and there is a possibility you will not be assigned Housing.
Please visit www.housing.umn.edu/housing_preferences. Changes to your room preferences will be accepted until May 15.
Making changes to your application will not affect your application complete date.
The Roommate Search is an opportunity for incoming first-year students to receive information about who they might be compatible with based on questions they answer about themselves and a preferred roommate.
Only new incoming first-year students who have not preferenced an LLC.
Students will answer questions about themselves and questions about their desired roommates (i.e. sleeping habits). The system will compare those answers with other student’s responses and give the student a list of students who are compatible. Students are encouraged to contact each other and if they wish to request each other as roommates, they need to add each other to their applications.
We will send out invitations to students through e-mail with a link to the program.
Didn't get your questions answered here...