Current Resident

Current Resident

Residence Hall Living

Housing & Residential Life Guidebook Read More

Be mindful of your responsibilities as a member of our community by being updated with our services and policies.

Residence Hall Counselor

In a collaborative effort between Housing & Residential Life and University Counseling & Consulting Services (UCCS), a professional counselor is now available to meet with students in U of MN residence halls. Any student who lives on campus, regardless of hall or university apartment, is eligible to meet with a residence hall counselor.

Students may meet with a counselor for a variety of concerns, including personal, academic and/or career. Life as a student can be stressful at times. Some common concerns students will consult with a counselor about include feeling lonely or sad, difficulty transitioning to college life, homesickness, frustrating roommate situations, and stressful academic demands to name but a few. Currently, the UCCS counselor is available to meet with students in offices located in Frontier & Middlebrook Halls.

For more information or to set an appointment, please visit


We have a transfer request list that you can get on and place a request to change to a different space. However because of how full we typically are we may not be able to grant your request during the fall semester.
You would want to start by speaking with your Community Advisor. You may also speak with the ARD/RD in your building.

To request a contract release you will want to speak with the Business Operations Supervisor in your building. They will have the paperwork for the contract release and they will answer any questions you have about the process. Find your hall's contact information on its hall page.

Find more information in our Contract release guidelines

In the fall you will want to speak with the Business Operations Supervisor (found on your hall page) in your building and ask them about a Contract Release. They will have a little bit of paperwork to fill out and will be able to answer any questions you may have. Find more information in our Contract release guidelines

The halls close at 8:00 pm on the last day of finals (not the apartments). Residents of open buildings can stay over the break but they will be charged a nightly rate, residents of other halls will have to leave during the break.

View all hall dates here

During the first two weeks of the fall semester you can change your meal plan online. Students living in the Residence Halls are required to have a meal plan no exceptions.

Meal Plan Change