University of Minnesota

Important Housing Contract Information

Residence Hall/Apartment Contract Periods 2014–2015

Your contract entitles you to a room and a meal plan for the entire academic year. The academic year/contract period is two semesters as defined below. Important dates and deadlines

Residents participating in academic programs with different beginning and ending dates must adhere to the contract periods listed. You will be charged a pre-contract rate for the time period prior to the start of the fall semester. At the official end of your academic year, you may apply for a contract release.

If you choose a meal plan, meals will be available based on the contract period.

Your Contract Obligations

Please realize that you are entering into a legally binding contract. Note there is no Fall Only contract. Residents that will no longer be a student at the U of MN must apply for a contract release. As soon as you move into University housing (take possession of your room key), you (and your parent(s) or guardian if you are under the legal age of 18 years) become responsible for all the terms and financial obligations of your contract. There will be a minimum charge of $200 upon moving into University housing.


November 27-November 30, 2014

Thanksgiving Break

Please note that no meals are served during the Thanksgiving holiday. Residents may stay during the Thanksgiving holiday at no additional cost. The last meal served before break is dinner on Wednesday, November 27. The first meal after break is brunch on Sunday, November 30.

December 18- January 17, 2015

Winter Break

3 residence halls (Centennial, 17th Avenue, and Middlebrook) remain open with limited services (i.e., desk hours and facilities availability) for student occupancy over the winter break. If you are assigned to and wish to stay in any of the 3 residence halls open over winter break, the nightly charge will be prorated based upon your semester room rate. This nightly charge begins on Thursday, December 18, and continues through the night of January 17, for winter break. Your room will not be rented to anyone but you or your roommate. Those who remain in a residence hall/apartment complex over winter break must register with the residence hall business office. Those residents who are found to be staying in the residence hall between 7 p.m. and 7 a.m. and have not registered for the break will be presumed to have stayed and have intended to stay for all days of the break and will be charged for the entire length of the break period.
Bailey, Comstock, Frontier, Pioneer, Sanford and Territorial Hall will be closed with no access from 8 p.m., December 18, 2014, through 8 a.m. Saturday, January 17, 2015.

Yudof Hall, Wilkins Hall, and University Village apartment complexes remain open over the winter break with limited services (i.e., desk hours and facilities availability) for student occupancy over the winter break. There is no additional charge for residents remaining in their apartments over winter break.

March 16-March 20, 2015

Spring Break

All University housing remains open over spring break. No meals are served in University housing during break periods. The last meal served before break is a grab and go dinner on Friday, March 13. The first meal after break is brunch on Sunday, March 22. There is no additional charge for residents remaining in University housing over spring break. Those who remain in a residence hall or apartment over spring break must register with the residence hall business office.

Spring Semester 2014

Note for all apartments: There is not a fall only contract option. Please read the section on your contract obligations for more information about the terms of your contract. Students on 11.5-month contracts do not need to be registered for summer classes to stay in their apartment.

Summer School Housing 2014 (needs update)

The 3 apartments and 17th Avenue Residence Hall (subject to change based on occupancy) will be open for summer school. Application-contracts for these sessions will be available online in January 2015.

Residents who register for May Session 2014 and wish to remain in one of the open housing facilities from May 18-24 will be charged a nightly rate based upon the semester housing rate. For more information contact your hall’s business office. Information regarding dining service during this period will be available at the business office spring semester.

Reapplying for University Housing

During spring semester 2015, you will have the opportunity to express your interest in returning to University housing by participating in the “Room Reapplication Process.” Information about this process will be available in your hall/apartment in January. Depending upon the projections for the 2015 first-year student class, space for returning students may be limited.

Note: If you choose an apartment as your final assignment during reapplication, you will not be able to cancel your apartment contract, unless you complete a contract release and provide documentation to meet the contract release guidelines.

Requesting Release From Your Contract After You Have Moved In

You may be granted a contract release without financial penalty if official documentation is provided for one of the following legitimate reasons: (1) withdrawal from the University, (2) graduation, (3) unplanned marriage, (4) declaration of same-gender domestic partnership (this documentation is available at Boynton Health Service and is available for same gender partnership), or (5) study abroad or University-sponsored internship (non-metro area) (6) Active Military Duty.

A request for release due to other “extenuating circumstances” may be granted but not automatically guaranteed with a service fee of $50 for reasons such as (1) proof of demonstrable, non-replaceable loss of support base after assuming occupancy in the University housing or (2) proof that a medical/psychological condition exists that was nonexistent prior to your move into University housing or severely exacerbated after occupancy. Documentation is required for any such requests.

During the first two weeks of each semester, contract releases for non-legitimate reasons may not be allowed. After the first two weeks of each semester, Housing & Residential Life will inform you if a contract applications list exists and if contract releases will be approved in order to accommodate students on that list. If there is no contract applications list, you must find your own substitute.

Under certain circumstances, you may be allowed to provide an eligible substitute for your University housing contract. In most cases this occurs when no person is available on the contract applications list whose needs will be met by space(s) the University housing system has to offer. The following apply to such circumstances, including those occurring at the end of a semester:

  • Depending on room changes, you are relinquishing a space, not necessarily your particular room.
  • The person who assumes your space in the hall/apartment cannot be a current resident of any other University housing.
  • Individuals who are currently on the Housing & Residential Life Contract Applications List or who have been on the list during the prior two weeks cannot be offered as a substitute by you.
  • The relinquishing of your contract to an individual on the Contract Applications List does not necessarily occur immediately. The actual contract release can occur only when a confirmed eligible student from the Contract Applications List is obtained, and this process may take a number of days to finalize. You are responsible for the full room and meal plan charges (if applicable) until an eligible substitute—reviewed by Housing & Residential Life—has assumed occupancy.
  • You are responsible for the charges pertaining to the balance of the room and meal plan contract if the person who replaces you is not from Housing & Residential Life’s Contract Applications List and she or he defaults on the contract. (If an individual from the Contract Applications List assumes occupancy, the initial contract holder is released from all financial obligations for the University housing contract.)

Once released or if the department terminates a contract, residents must move out by the date and time specified or be charged a $100 penalty plus the room daily rate and be subject to eviction proceedings or have their release permission rescinded. Should any of the above options become a concern to you, contact your business office or the central office of Housing & Residential Life for further information, guidelines, or necessary forms.

Contract Assumptions

Residents living in Yudof Hall, University Village, or Wilkins Hall have the option to find eligible students to assume their contract during the summer months. Information is available through your business office beginning January, 2014.

Other Contract Provisions

Breach of Contract

Failure to satisfy the financial obligations of University housing contract may result in any or all of the following:

  • denial of meal privileges until suitable payment arrangements are made
  • inability to obtain a transcript or degree
  • denial of enrollment for subsequent coursework
  • denial of future residence
  • termination of the contract and removal from University housing

If you are denied meal privileges because you fail to satisfy your financial obligations, the money allotted for denied meals is not refundable, nor can it be credited to your account.

Following appropriate judicial action involving serious violations of University regulations, a student may be removed from University housing within 24 hours.

Note: If you are evicted from University housing, you will be held financially responsible for all costs associated with the eviction process and may be held responsible for the remainder of the room and meal plan contract if Housing & Residential Life is not able to find a replacement. Also realize that if you are no longer a registered student you are no longer eligible to live in University housing (unless you have been granted an exception from Housing & Residential Life).

Room Change Requests

Transfers do not start until all expanded housing students are permanently placed. Important: submitting a transfer request does not guarantee that the transfer will occur. Fill out the online form if you want to request a transfer from your room assignment. The request will be sent to Housing & Residential Life and will be considered when rooms are available and in the order that the requests were received. If a space becomes available and you are next in line, you will be notified.

Expanded Housing Space

The University has converted study rooms or regular rooms into residence spaces to provide larger capacity. An expanded housing space may be a regular residence hall/apartment room that has been converted to accommodate an additional person (a single expanded to a double, a double expanded to a triple, etc) or study room converted into a residential living space. Housing & Residential Life is committed to returning study rooms back to the hall/apartment community. All study rooms will be returned to their original use and expanded residents will be moved into regular rooms when space becomes available.

Room Consolidation

When one of the occupants of a two-person or larger room moves out, the remaining occupant(s) must prepare to combine living space with other residents who also remain in a partially occupied room when no applicants exist on the Contract Applications List. Any one of the remaining residents may be required to move.

The following steps will be followed to accomplish this consolidation:

  1. The remaining occupant(s) will be notified of a vacancy and will be allowed seven days to find another eligible roommate of choice.
  2. If that is not successful, the remaining occupant(s) will have three additional days to agree to pay a higher rate for the room (e.g. double room as a single).
  3. If, after this combined 10 days, the remaining occupant(s) has (have) not found another roommate nor has (have) not willingly agreed to pay the higher rate, the following will occur:
  4. All residents without a roommate will be ranked by date of original application to housing. They will then be reassigned to an open space in that date priority.
  5. All reassigned residents will be required to move within seven days of notification by the business office.
  6. Any resident without a roommate who does not complete the required move in Step 3B will be charged the higher rate for their room retroactive to the beginning of the semester. A resident whose roommate notifies Housing & Residential Life after October 15 (for fall semester) or February 15 (for spring semester) of their intent to move will only be charged from the date of the roommate’s actual move-out.

Note: If, however, another roommate or room is not available, the higher rate will not be charged. Housing & Residential Life will retain the right to assign a student to that room if the need arises.


You are liable for any damage, modification, or excessive cleaning required in your room or done to any part of University housing or its designee. You and a Housing & Residential Life staff member will complete a room condition report at move-in and move-out time. By signing the application contract and the room condition report, you agree to pay the cost of repair, replacement, or cleaning of any item or part of University housing that you damage, modify, or destroy (including the removal of window screens). Replacement costs include full, not depreciated, charges for new materials and labor. If a damaged item feasibly can be repaired, you will be charged the cost of repairing rather than replacing the item. All repairs/replacement work will be initiated and accomplished by the University or its designee.

If you occupy a double or larger room, you and your roommate(s) are jointly liable for damages caused and must divide the damage charges evenly, unless the Residence Director determines which one of the occupants is responsible for the damages. You are also liable for any damage caused by your guests. Housing & Residential Life staff makes final room inspections after you have moved out of your room and have completed your room condition report. Additional damage charges may result from these final inspections. You will be informed of the damage charges through a letter from Housing & Residential Life. The letter will specify the payment process as well as the appeal process. You must make all appeals in writing, by a specified date (noted in the letter). All damage charges will be assessed to your student account through the University. If you are appealing a damage charge, and the result of your appeal is not known prior to the date your payment is due, you are encouraged to pay the bill in order to avoid a late fee charge. Should your appeal be approved, the damage charge will be credited to your account. Any appeals of late fees must be directed to the Office of Student Finance department.

Room Check-out Procedures

Whether you are leaving the residence hall/apartment complex (If prior to the end of a contract period, you must apply for a contract release.) or just changing rooms, you must be properly checked out by a Housing & Residential Life staff member (usually a CA).

  • Contact the hall/apartment office and your CA and inform him or her of the date and time you plan to move out of your room.
  • Remove all personal belongings from your room. Clean your room thoroughly (dust, vacuum, etc.).
  • Complete the checkout section of your room condition report with your CA. Both you and your CA must sign the room condition report.
  • Turn in your key at the information desk. Failure to turn in your room key when you check out will result in a $30 charge. Unreturned mailbox keys will be charged at $15 each.
  • Complete a forwarding address card.

Note: You will receive more specific information pertaining to check-in/checkout procedures from the residence hall/apartment complex staff. You will be expected to adhere to these additional procedures. Finally, failure to properly check out of your room and hall/apartment with your CA or another staff member will result in a $50 service fee in addition to the unreturned key charges.

Express Checkouts

Most residence halls at the University of Minnesota offer an “express checkout” option in addition to the traditional checkout process at the end of the academic year. Express checkout is popular because it requires no formal appointment with your CA and does not need to be scheduled. Simply clean your room, remove all of your belongings, come down to the front desk, and sign your keys in, and you’re all checked out. Most students choose this simpler method, though keep in mind that you will be billed for damages, leaving any items in the room, and for not cleaning your room sufficiently.

Residence hall/apartment complex Keys and Fob Keys

In the event of lost or unreturned keys, residents will be charged $60 for each room/apartment key, $35 for each mailbox key, and $15 for each outside door key. At University Village the replacement key cost is $145.00 for an apartment recore (this includes but is not limited to, any keys for you, roommate(s), and the temporary keys) and $35.00 for a replacement access fob.  The above rates are for the upcoming academic year. Rates may be increased at the discretion of Housing & Residential Life.


Neither the University nor University Village landlord are responsible for the theft, destruction, or loss of your money or personal belongings from any part of University housing, including rooms, public areas, or storage facilities for any reason. We urge you to carry your own personal property insurance.


Grievances related to a University housing contract should be resolved in the first instance between you and the RD. Grievances not resolved at that level might be appealed, in writing to Housing & Residential Life, Associate Director-Administrative Services Operation, Comstock Hall/apartment-East, 210 Delaware Street S.E., Minneapolis, MN 55455-0307.


Please note that construction activity may affect residents to varying degrees and may involve excess dirt or noise.

While it is impossible to know the extent of such inconveniences, it is certain that these situations, when they occur, may prove to be difficult at times. High demand for on-campus accommodations requires that all spaces be made available to returning and incoming students. Unfortunately, the financial requirements involved in operating a fully self-supporting (no legislative subsidy) University housing system do not allow for any adjustments to room and board charges to compensate if construction-related inconveniences of dirt or noise occurs or if something beyond Housing & Residential Life’s control prevents or delays delivery of services under this contract.