Welcome to Pioneer Hall
Pioneer Hall is a four-story coeducational residence hall housing 718 residents. Pioneer is one of four halls located on adjacent blocks known collectively as the "Superblock" on the Minneapolis east bank campus. Pioneer houses a dining center and shares it with Frontier Hall which is connected by tunnel. Pioneer is near several sports arenas, the University Hospital/Health Sciences complex, and Stadium Village (a local shopping and eating area). Pioneer is easily accessible by foot, bike, free campus connector and shuttle system, and soon to be completed - light rail. The colonial architecture of Pioneer was constructed in shifts. The hall's south side was built in 1930 and the north side in 1934.
Hall's Information Desk is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This is the location of your mail, IDEA check out items, and is staffed by knowledgeable students and staff. Please review the other tab sections for more details.
Discover Involvement in your University Housing Community
Foundation for Success
The fundamental philosophy of the University residence halls and apartments is that students grow and develop while they live in University Housing. To help students achieve their personal and academic goals and become well-rounded individuals, we begin by meeting their basic needs by providing comfortable, well-maintained living environments and nutritious food. The University Housing community and its staff provide appropriate challenges and support to enable student growth and development.
Foundation for Success provides a framework for the interactions and education offered to students who live in university housing. Learning outcomes focus on the whole person and support academic success. Each student will do what they do best everyday, have strong and positive relationships, make healthy and sustainable choices, have an inclusive and engaged community experience, and make sound financial decisions. These learning outcomes will be implemented through planned interactions and educational initiatives designed to engage the student in their learning. All community members are also responsible for establishing safe, inclusive and socially-just communities.
- Each student will do what they do best every day.
- Each student will have strong and positive relationships.
- Each student will make healthy and sustainable choices.
- Each student will have an inclusive and engaged community experience.
- Each student will make sound financial decisions.
Your Community Advisor (CA) will host house meetings at different points during the year. Your attendance is expected at these important meetings. You will receive essential community information and get to know your neighbors and community members during these events. Please speak to your CA before your house meeting if you have a conflicting appointment or meeting.
Here are some of the many Housing & Residential Life programs:
- House or Floor Community
- Leadership Development Program
- Program Grant Board (PGB)
- Residential Housing Association (RHA)
- Social Justice Leadership Retreat
- Student Conduct Board (SCB)
- Student Involvement
University Housing Employment Opportunities
Working in University Housing is not only a convenient way to make some money; it can also be a lot of fun! For job listings go to the Housing & Residential Life job page.
Room Furnishings and Amenities
What to Bring
One room occupied by 1 resident. A bathroom is shared by approximately 13 residents. The average square footage is 122. The contract length is fall/spring. There are approximately 176 singles in Pioneer.
One room occupied by 2 residents. A common bathroom is shared by approximately 13 residents. The average square footage is 174. The contract length is fall/spring. There are approximately 78 doubles in Pioneer.
One room shared by 3 residents. A common bathroom is shared by approximately 13 residents. The average square footage is 250. The contract length is fall/spring. There are approximately 14 triples in Pioneer.
Two bedrooms and one common room shared by 2 residents. A common bathroom is shared by approximately 13 residents. The average square footage is 326. The contract length is fall/spring. There are approximately 32 2-person suites in Pioneer.
Two bedrooms and one common room shared by 4 residents. A common bathroom is shared by approximately 13 residents. The average square footage is 355. The contract length is fall/spring. There are approximately 72 4-person suites in Pioneer.
Not sure what it costs?
Want to know more about the layout?
Check out our floorplans here. (Login Required)
Residence Director (RD) and Assistant Residence Director (ARD)
- Manages the housing complex and operations
- Develops living learning skills in the residential population
- Advise and assist student government
- Encourages recreational, social, educational and cultural programming
- Individual counseling and resource advice when necessary
Business Operations Supervisor (BOS)
- Oversees the operation of the information desk and business office
- Assists the Residence Director
Facility Operations Supervisor (FOS)
- Manage and maintain the upkeep of the facility, equipment and grounds
Community Advisor (CA)
- Assist residents with personal, social, and academic issues and general University and community issues
- Handle emergency situations and the enforcement of University and residence hall regulations
Computer Center Coordinator (CCC)
- Customer service assistance to residents with software, hardware and/or networking problems in the center.
- Manages any hardware or software problems that may occur in the resident hall's computer center and front office.
Office Assistant (OA)
- Manage the operation of the information desk and an informational resource
- Checkout equipment and distribute mail
- Night shift managers are responsible for support in responding to residence hall/apartment emergencies and enforcing regulations.
- Observe and report possible criminal activity or regulation violations, serving as a visible deterrent
- Assists in the enforcement of University & residence hall regulations